Rock the Block
Rock the Block 2019: A SONYMA Spruce Up Event
Rock the Block is a one-day, annual event aimed at improving curb appeal in the South End of Niagara Falls, N.Y. A special thank you to the State of NY Mortgage Agency (SONYMA) for their partnership and support of Rock the Block 2019!
Thank you to all who participated! The weather may not have cooperated, but we certainly made an impact. Below are the outcomes of the day:
- 224 volunteers worked on minor home repairs, painting, landscaping efforts, fencing and general clean up.
- $73,050 in economic impact value.
- 24 homes had work completed that day (12 residential, 12 city, and 5 recently offered to NORDIC Land Bank).
- 15 alleys stretching from Niagara Street to Pine Avenue were cleaned.
- Work stretched over 34 city blocks.
- 250 NIACAP brochures were distributed to residents about weatherization, insulating windows and doors, and more. 10% of the families who recieved these brocures called NIACAP for their services.
- Cleaned Niagara Street medians from Fourth to Eighth Streets.
Rock the Block 2018 Impact:
Over 200 volunteers joined us to Rock the Block on May 16, 2018. See the IMPACT below:
- 204 volunteers Rocked the Block
- 35 homes were repaired, painted, landscaped, etc. (23 residential, 12 city).
- 76 vacant lots were mowed in partnership with the City of Niagara Falls.
- 10 alleys had debris removed, landscaping done and garages painted.
- 4 city corners were landscaped (mulch,perennials planted, etc.)