The IMPACT model provides Niagara University students with career preparation through service. It is a project based learning model. Students will use their knowledge and skills to develop a project to address an identified community need. They will then collect and analyze data to determine the IMPACT that their project made. The IMPACT model also promotes collective impact, encouraging students, faculty, community members and others work as an interdisciplinary team to tackle an issue in the community. See the image below to see what IMPACT involves!
Freshman year of the IMPACT model is all about DISCOVERY! Students discover:
- The IMPACT program and how it can support them throughout their time at Niagara University.
- The local community and its strengths and weaknesses.
- Organizations in the community and the work that they do and populations that they serve.
- Their own personal interests, skills and goals.
Sophomore year is when students are able to PLAN for the work that they are going to do in the community. Students will:
- Identify their area of interest that they learned from the DISCOVERY phase.
- Work with the IMPACT office to determine a community need that their interests could fulfill (if applicable).
- Determine the role that they will play in their chosen service project. This role should be connected to the students future career goals.
- Get connected to the organization they will be working with (if applicable).
- Determine 2-3 expected outcomes of the planned project.
Junior year is all about ACTION! Students will:
- Implement the project that they developed during the PLANNING stage.
- Gain hands-on career-relevant experience through the project.
- Work to achieve determined outcomes.
Senior year is when students determine the IMPACT that their projects made. They will:
- Collect and analyze data to determine if project outcomes were reached.
- Report the identified community need that the project tackled.
- Reflect on the IMPACT that the project made on the community and themselves.
COMMITMENT is the ultimate goal of the IMPACT model!
- As alumni, students maintain connection with Niagara University.
- Alumni will foster a lifelong commitment to service in their communities.